Monday, February 07, 2005

Baby's Accident (Mommy's Fault!!)


myowie
Originally uploaded by globalgirl246.

:::sigh:::

careless careless careless.

In the rushing final moments on Sunday, I realized I had to iron the sweater I was wearing. Drats! To save on time I plugged it in near the bed to do it there rather than wrestle the board out of the closet. I turned the heat up and then left the room. Desi was in the bedroom at the time, seemingly absorbed in the forbidden area near the stereo, he had his back to me and didn't seem to even be aware of my activities. But honestly I didn't even think about it -- not a single thought of danger!! Till moments later I heard a terrible cry. Even then it didn't occur to me but when I rushed into the room and saw the iron on the floor I cringed and scooped mybaby up. He was wailing and soon began to shake. After a moment I had to see his face and pulled him back, I wasn't sure but it didn't look like any burns on his face. I let him cling to me again (and I clung back!) then pulled him away after awhile to inspect his only other exposed skin, his hands. It was so hard to tell but eventually it seemed to be his hands. I tried giving him an ice cube to hold which he did for a few minutes but then the crying pitch went up and he didn't want to touch it again. It was so terrible!! He'd never cried so terribly before!! In comparing the hands I could finally tell that it was his right. He was sweating quite a bit, and I realized that we were in no condition to go out, so I took all his church clothes off, and mine, opened the windows and tried to create a cool, fluid atmosphere. We tried sitting on the edge of the tub with the cold water running and holding a big bowl of water for him to place his hand in. I would ease him gently into the water and emphasize the comfort with sound effects like, "ahhhhhh...." He wouldn't hold his hand in the water any longer than a few seconds but we sat there doing that for about 10 minutes. I gave him a couple of doses of Motrin hoping it would help the pain he was feeling. It was obvious he hadn't felt that kind of pain before :::sigh::: He was literally inconsolable for over an hour! It was terribly sad. We just kept moving from one room to the other trying to find distractions: toys, chilled grapes, his beverage... not much, not for long. After almost an hour and a half he seemed recovered enough to take an interest in his exploring activities and his growing blister. We actually did make it to church, he was mobbed by his little fan club (we weren't there the week before either because he was sick!) eager to see him and how he was feeling -- loud gasps and horror at the sight of his huge blister. One of his biggest buddies, Gerielle (14), ran down the hall to Nathan and breathlessly told him that Desi had been burned then came back to me and grabbed Desi to show him. Received lots of advise from various seasoned mothers and a nurse.

This morning the swelling had gone down quite a bit. He wisely favors the hand and won't put pressure on it. Last night he was up to his old busy tricks and Nate said the same this morning when I called to check on them. Grateful for his resilience and pray for more common sense for meself!!

a rapid recovery: view photos

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home